Services » Travel Medicine
Doctors on Riccarton have trained doctors and nurses who can offer an up-to-date travel health advice and vaccination service for all travellers, including those going on their OE (overseas experience), adventure trips, cruises and those returning to their home country. We also have available for purchase travel medical kits to suit your needs.
We have online internet access to the latest travel health information via the Worldwise website. This includes information on disease outbreaks and current international vaccine requirements and recommendations specific to each country.
We can advise on and administer travel vaccines for disease prevention, including the Yellow Fever vaccine. The advice given is individualised to meet your specific travel requirements.
We recommend you plan to have your travel vaccinations a few months before you go as some vaccines need more than 1 dose. A period of 6 weeks may be required in between doses. It also takes a few weeks before the vaccines fully have effect.
We stock vaccines for:
- Cholera / Traveller's Diarrhoea
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis A & B
- Hepatitis A & Typhoid
- Yellow Fever
We can order in vaccines for:
- Japanese Encaphelitis
We recommend that you book your appointment 3 to 4 weeks prior to travelling. This allows time for vaccinations to be effective. Please advise reception staff that you are requesting a travel consultation so appropriate nurse and doctor times can be arranged.
You need to bring with you:
- A detailed itinerary of travel plans
- Information on previous travel
- Information on childhood immunisations and previous vaccinations, if available
- A list of current medications (if you are not a regular patient)
- A list of any allergies
- Passport, for those requiring Yellow Fever vaccination (for travel to South America and sub-Sahara Africa).
Alternatively, click to open this TRAVEL QUESTIONNAIRE, print it out, fill it in and bring it with you to your appointment.
We have a range of travel products which you can purchase at reception. These include
- first aid kits
- insect repellant
- lip balm
- mosquito nets
- water purification tablets
- travel document organisers, RFID blockers (radio-frequency identification blockers which are used to stop identity theft of passports etc)
- water purification drops/tablets
Please go to our links page for some useful websites for people wishing to travel overseas. Click here.