Prior to making an appointment
Make sure you know what immigration medical exams you require. If you are unsure, please find out from Immigration NZ. You can contact them by:
- phone 0508 55 88 55
- or asking at the Christchurch Branch, located at 110 Wrights Road, Addington, Christchurch
To make an appointment
(For Christchurch residents)
- Please come to our practice at 183 Riccarton Road.
- Bring your passport
- Book an appointment time
- Pay a deposit of $200 to secure your appointment. (Please note, due to the administrative time required to set up an eMedical, there is a non-refundable charge of $50 should you cancel your appointment).
- We will need to take your photo and start a medical case for you (this process takes 20 minutes for each family member so please allow plenty of time).
(For patients who live out of Christchurch)
- Phone to make an appointment
- Make an online payment to our bank account to secure your appointment. Please make sure you ring at least 2 days prior to your intended appointment date to allow time for the deposit to clear.
- Click here to print the Immigration eMedical Instructions
Your medical exam, blood and urine tests and chest x-ray will all be conducted at the medical centre at one time. Please allow 1.5 hours for the appointment and an additional 0.5 hour for each additional family member.
What you need to bring for your immigration medical
- Passport, for photo identification and passport number. (Click here for more information on photo IDs or if you do not have a passport available.)
- Prescription eyewear if you use them (glasses or contact lenses)
- Medication list and/or medical specialist reports
What you need to do before your appointment
- Drink plenty of water before you come in as you will need to do a urine test. Please DO NOT go to the toilet before doing the urine test.
- If you have not had your photo taken, arrive 20 minutes early to your appointment so that your photo can be taken. New patients also need to fill in forms. If you are coming as a group, allow 20 minutes for each person (eg 3 people require 1 hour for the registration process).
- If you need an Interpreter for immigration medicals, please call Interpreting NZ on 0508 468 377, or book online via http://www.interpret.org.nz/book-an-interpreter/ Interpreting NZ will charge you for this service. If you have limited English, we recommend that you bring a registered interpreter rather than a family member or friend.
- Remove any jewellery which will interfere with the Xray image, including necklaces and long ear rings.
After the Appointment
Blood tests and x-ray results are sent away for reporting.
If the test results are normal, they take up to 2 working days to be reported. Reporting takes longer if results are abnormal.
Once the results are reported
- If they are normal, we will complete the report online and electronically submit it to Immigration NZ. It is your responsibility to double check that the online medical has been submitted.
- If the results are abnormal, you will need to see the doctor again to discuss these. Extra tests may be required to be ordered. There may be charges for these consultations and any extra tests required.
Submitting the Immigration Medical to Immigration NZ
We will electronically submit the medical report to Immigration NZ. If you provide us with an email address, then you will be notified when this is done. Immigration Medicals are only valid for 3 months from the date the doctor has signed it.