Prior to making an appointment
Make sure you know what immigration medical exams you require. If you are unsure, please find out from Immigration NZ. You can contact them by phoning 0508 55 88 55
To make an appointment
- Please phone our Practice on 03 348 8989 to make an appointment to set up the Immigration Medical online. This will require 20mins per person. (this is not the medical appointment, this is for setting up the Medical only).
- We will take your photo and you will sign a declaration form at this time.
- We require a deposit of $200 to our bank account to secure your appointment. (Please note, due to the administrative time required to set up an eMedical, there is a non-refundable charge of $50 should you cancel your appointment).
- If you are from outside of Christchurch, please ring us and we will forward you instructions via email.
Your medical exam, blood and urine tests and chest x-ray will all be conducted at the medical centre at one time. Please allow 1.5 hours for the appointment and an additional 0.5 hour for each additional family member.
What you need to bring for your immigration medical
- Passport, for photo identification and passport number. (Click here for more information on photo IDs or if you do not have a passport available.)
- Prescription eyewear if you use them (glasses or contact lenses)
- Medication list and/or medical specialist reports
What you need to do before your appointment
- Drink plenty of water before you come in as you will need to do a urine test. Please DO NOT go to the toilet before doing the urine test.
- If you have not had your photo taken, arrive 20 minutes early to your appointment so that your photo can be taken. New patients also need to fill in forms. If you are coming as a group, allow 20 minutes for each person (eg 3 people require 1 hour for the registration process).
- If you need an Interpreter for immigration medicals, please call Interpreting NZ on 0508 468 377, or book online via http://www.interpret.org.nz/book-an-interpreter/ Interpreting NZ will charge you for this service. If you have limited English, we recommend that you bring a registered interpreter rather than a family member or friend.
- Remove any jewellery which will interfere with the Xray image, including necklaces and long ear rings.
After the Appointment
Blood tests and x-ray results are sent away for reporting.
If the test results are normal, they take up to 2 working days to be reported. Reporting takes longer if results are abnormal.
Once the results are reported
- If they are normal, we will complete the report online and electronically submit it to Immigration NZ. It is your responsibility to double check that the online medical has been submitted.
- If the results are abnormal, you will need to see the doctor again to discuss these. Extra tests may be required to be ordered. There may be charges for these consultations and any extra tests required.
Submitting the Immigration Medical to Immigration NZ
We will electronically submit the medical report to Immigration NZ. If you provide us with an email address, then you will be notified when this is done. Immigration Medicals are only valid for 3 months from the date the doctor has signed it.