News » Flu Vaccine 2022
Posted by Practice Manager on 29 March 2022
Flu vaccines are now available for everyone aged 6 months of age and over.
For comprehensive information about the flu and the flu vaccine go to fightflu.co.nz
Appointments can be made by phoning 03 348 8989.
Please ensure you are well when you come in for your vaccination. You must not have active Covid-19 infection and/or Covid-like symptoms such as a cough, sore throat, runny nose, fever, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Unfunded flu vaccines cost $35.
From April 1st to December 31st 2022, FREE influenza vaccines are available for people who are eligible for funded medical services in New Zealand AND meet the following criteria set by PHARMAC:
1. People 65 years of age or older; or
2. Māori and Pacific peoples aged 55 to 64 years, or
3. People under 65 years of age who:
- have any of the following cardiovascular diseases:
- ischaemic heart disease, or
- congestive heart failure, or
- rheumatic heart disease, or
- congenital heart disease, or
- cerebrovascular disease; or
- have either of the following chronic respiratory diseases:
- asthma, if on a regular preventative therapy, or
- other chronic respiratory disease with impaired lung function; or
- have diabetes; or
- have chronic renal disease; or
- have any cancer, excluding basal and squamous skin cancers if not invasive; or
- have any of the following other conditions:
- autoimmune disease, or
- immune suppression or immune deficiency, or
- HIV, or
- transplant recipient, or
- neuromuscular or CNS disease/disorder, or
- haemoglobinopathy, or
- children on long-term aspirin, or
- a cochlear implant, or
- error of metabolism at risk of major metabolic decompensation, or
- pre- or post-splenectomy, or
- Down syndrome, or
- pregnant women (any trimester); or
4. Children aged 4 years or under who have been hospitalised for respiratory illness or have a history of significant respiratory illness.
Unless meeting the criteria set out above, the following conditions are excluded from funding:
- asthma not requiring regular preventative therapy, or
- hypertension and/or dyslipidaemia without evidence of end-organ disease.
New Zealand’s 2022 flu vaccine will protect against four strains of flu virus – two influenza type A strains and two influenza type B strains:
A/Victoria/2570/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
A/Darwin/9/2021 (H3N2)-like virus
Further information can be found on the following link https://www.fightflu.co.nz/