News » Covid Vaccine
Posted by on 11 May 0021
The rollout of the Covid vaccine in NZ began in February 2021. In Canterbury, timeframes of the rollout are different from other regions.
Who can currently have a Covid-19 Vaccine
Group 1A - Border workers and Managed Isolation and Quarantine Facility (MIQ) workers
Group 1B - household contacts of Border and MIQ workers
- high-risk frontline healthcare or disability worker
- work in a long-term residential care environment
- live in long-term residential care
- are an older Māori or Pacific person being cared for by whānau
- live in the Counties Manukau DHB area and are over 65, have an underlying health condition or disability, are pregnant, or are in a custodial setting.
- People in Aged Residential Care (Rest Home) facilities will be vaccinated from June 2021 , along with older Maori and Pasifika people being cared for by whanau, and offering vaccination to the whanau they live with as well.
- People in Group 3 (people aged 65 and over) and those with underlying health conditions will start vaccinations from June/July 2021 .
- Vaccinations for the general public (all those not in Groups 1, 2 or 3) are expected to start from July 2021 . Details on how to book will be provided closer to the time.
Timeframes may vary and the Canterbury District Health Board will noitify us if planned timings change.
Click on the link for more information from the Canterbury District Health Board as to which priority group you belong and approximately when you can start getting your vaccine. Please note that these dates are approximate.
There are differences in timeframes across the regions as to when each group will get their vaccines. Therefore, please do not look at the Ministry of Health website, which has very general timeframes.
For Ministry of Health easy to read information on the Covid-19 vaccine, Coronavirus and the Pandemic go to https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-resources-and-tools/covid-19-accessible-information/covid-19-easy-read-information
The Canterbury District Health Board also has an easy to read public website for Covid-19 vaccine information https://vaccinatecanterburywestcoast.nz/